I really can’t take too much credit for this one, my mother did most of the work. I helped her tweak the recipe a bit and I took the photos… and well of course I’m writing this right now but other than that she was really the one who made it happen. This is particularly exciting for me because I’m the one helping my mother learn to cook healthier and try new things. So I’m really proud of her for pulling this one together.
The recipe is pretty simple and easy to put together. I found the original on Skinnymom.com but as usual I did a couple of things differently for my version. We skipped the egg that the original recipe called for… mainly because we had an egg shortage in the fridge and neither of us felt like going to to the store… which is literally 1/4 of a mile away… if that. ANYWAY the egg wasn’t really missed but feel free to add it to your mixture if you want to, we also decided that these lasagna rolls needed some garlic because well… garlic… that’s why.
Each roll is a serving and these are about 200 calories per serving… we of course ate 2 each because they were freaking delicious. Trust me though, these are a lot more food than what they look like. I was overstuffed with 2 of them. As long as you resist making a ton of garlic cheesy bread… this meal is a healthy one for those nights you just can’t live without carbs.
8-10 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
10z Frozen Spinach (Thawed and drained)
15oz Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1 clove of minced garlic (or some garlic powder to your liking)
1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
24(ish)oz Jar of Organic Italian Pasta Sauce
1/2 cup Part-Skim Shredded Mozzarella
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Star boiling your water for the noodles at the same time.
2. Cook the noodles until al dente
3. Lay out wax paper on the counter top. When noodles are done, strain, pat dry and lay out on the wax paper.
4. In a bowl mix the spinach, ricotta, parmesan, salt, pepper, italian seasonings and garlic.
5. Pour half the pasta sauce in a 10×7 baking dish.
6. Spread about a fourth cup of the spinach/cheese mixture onto each lasagna noodle. (The original recipe only called for 8 noodles but I found that I ended up having a lot of leftover spinach mixture so you may want to make a few more just in case.)
7. Roll the noodles up into cute little bundles of joy and place them seam down in the baking dish, on top of the sauce.
8. Use the rest of the sauce to cover the lasagna rolls.
9. Sprinkle about a Tablespoon of Mozzarella on each each roll.
10. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Boom baby! These are super delicious and guilt free so enjoy and let me know if you want to see more recipes like this one!